If there’s one breakfast that we can all agree on, it’s got to be either pancakes or waffles. I feel like these are the two pillars of breakfast. You can never go wrong with them, and you can dress them up in so many different ways that it’s virtually impossible to get bored of them.
Today, I woke up craving a classic crisp waffle with something fruity on top. And that I had. This was the easiest thing to put together, but tastes like pure joy. Classic crisp waffles with honey yogurt and peaches. You can’t go wrong with those.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted then cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Greek honey yogurt (or a spoonful per waffle)
- peaches, sliced
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, beat until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.
- Top waffles with a spoonful of Greek honey yogurt and sliced peaches. Devour.
I have a little bit of a confession to make. I sometimes go to the movies, not for the actual movie, but for the popcorn. I know I cannot be the only one who does this. Am I really the only popcorn obsessed person I know?
I’m the type of person who will order a caramel and salt mix popcorn, and will then buy a bunch of extras to take my popcorn to the next level. Mnms, maltesers, minstrels.. you name it. I was even introduced to the idea of ordering cheese dip on the side, and then dipping my popcorn into that.. and oh my goodness. No regrets.
As fun as that is (for me at least), there are nights where I just feel like staying in and getting cozy on the couch to one of my favourite movies. And I may be nuts, but going to the cinema just to get a bag of popcorn and driving back home to have it with my movie, is a little too nutty for me. I know what you’re thinking, there are microwavable bags of popcorn. Yes there are, but let’s admit that they do not taste anywhere as good as the real stuff. They lack the excitement and crunch that comes with every bite. And that brings me to this recipe (took me long enough to get here), I thought why not take a bag of microwavable popcorn and take it up a notch. And this my friends, led me to the joyous discovery of oven baked caramel popcorn.
I’m now going to take you down this road with me, and take you to the light.
P.S. I apologise to all cinemas that could potentially lose profit as a result of this post. I could reconsider this post with a good offer, and I accept popcorn as a currency.
- 3 microwave popcorn bags
- 3 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 120 degrees C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Pop your popcorn as per package instructions, then place in a large bowl. Add the pecans, then mix well and spread evenly on baking tray.
- In a saucepan set on medium-high heat, add butter, brown sugar and light corn syrup. Stir together, then bring to a boil for 5 minutes while stirring a little in between. Remove, and add vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn, and stir until all the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Place baking tray into oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the popcorn from the oven, stir the popcorn around, and again bake for 15 minutes. Keep doing this until you have reached an hour.
- After an hour, remove the popcorn from the oven. Let cool for 2-3 minutes, then break it up into pieces and serve.
Today’s post is the result of how done I am with this heat. It has been about 45 degrees Celsius every day for the past month now, and I’m slowly starting to evaporate.
I have started to resort to ridiculous activities just to stay cool, almost asked for a membership at Ski Dubai, just because. I have, however, calmed down and decided to resort to different solutions. Edible solutions, because these are always the best. Food solves all your problems. I promise you.
So, coconut mango popsicles. Ice cold, straight out of the freezer and into your belly. It’s amazing how much they cool you down. I’m a much happier/cooler person typing this post, and it’s all thanks to these babies. Enjoy, and happy cooling.
- 2 mangos, diced
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- Mix together the yogurt and coconut milk, then pour 2 tbsp of the mixture into the popsicle molds. Freeze for 30 mins. (You will have leftover yogurt & coconut mixture, set it aside as you will need it).
- Blend the diced mango and the orange juice until smooth, then divide into 2 halves.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the yogurt & coconut mixture into one of the mango & orange halves, and mix well. This will give you an ombre effect.
- Pour 2 tbsp of this yogurt-coconut-mango-orange mixture into the popsicle molds, then freeze again for 30 mins.
- Remove from the freezer, and stick in your popsicle sticks halfway through. Then pour in the other half of the orange-mango mixture.
- Freeze overnight, and serve!