BAKED CARAMEL POPCORN
I have a little bit of a confession to make. I sometimes go to the movies, not for the actual movie, but for the popcorn. I know I cannot be the only one who does this. Am I really the only popcorn obsessed person I know?
I’m the type of person who will order a caramel and salt mix popcorn, and will then buy a bunch of extras to take my popcorn to the next level. Mnms, maltesers, minstrels.. you name it. I was even introduced to the idea of ordering cheese dip on the side, and then dipping my popcorn into that.. and oh my goodness. No regrets.
As fun as that is (for me at least), there are nights where I just feel like staying in and getting cozy on the couch to one of my favourite movies. And I may be nuts, but going to the cinema just to get a bag of popcorn and driving back home to have it with my movie, is a little too nutty for me. I know what you’re thinking, there are microwavable bags of popcorn. Yes there are, but let’s admit that they do not taste anywhere as good as the real stuff. They lack the excitement and crunch that comes with every bite. And that brings me to this recipe (took me long enough to get here), I thought why not take a bag of microwavable popcorn and take it up a notch. And this my friends, led me to the joyous discovery of oven baked caramel popcorn.
I’m now going to take you down this road with me, and take you to the light.
P.S. I apologise to all cinemas that could potentially lose profit as a result of this post. I could reconsider this post with a good offer, and I accept popcorn as a currency.
- 3 microwave popcorn bags
- 3 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 120 degrees C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Pop your popcorn as per package instructions, then place in a large bowl. Add the pecans, then mix well and spread evenly on baking tray.
- In a saucepan set on medium-high heat, add butter, brown sugar and light corn syrup. Stir together, then bring to a boil for 5 minutes while stirring a little in between. Remove, and add vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn, and stir until all the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Place baking tray into oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the popcorn from the oven, stir the popcorn around, and again bake for 15 minutes. Keep doing this until you have reached an hour.
- After an hour, remove the popcorn from the oven. Let cool for 2-3 minutes, then break it up into pieces and serve.